This home was built between 1843-1845 by Wilford and Phoebe Woodruff. It took so long to build because Wilford Woodruff was often away on Church business. When the family moved in to the comfortable dwelling, they were only able to stay a few months before the Mormons were forced to leave Nauvoo. Woodruff sold the home in 1846 and moved west with the Mormon Exodus. In Utah, he became the 4th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
This dwelling was restored in 1969 and is one of the finest and best-preserved homes in Old Nauvoo. The highly furnished home contains many of the original inhabitants' belongings.