Whitey’s Ice Cream was founded in 1933 by Chester “Whitey” Lindgren – nicknamed such due to his white-blonde hair. Bob Tunberg worked at Whitey’s Ice Cream starting in 1935 and eventually bought the business in 1953 with his wife, Norma. Bob and Norma’s sons, Jeff and Jon, joined the family business and eventually became co-owners when Bob passed away in 1991.
Today there are ten locations throughout Illinois and Iowa with product available in grocery store chains across the Midwest. Whitey’s Ice Cream has been named “best in the Midwest” according to the readers of Midwest Living Magazine, one of the “best ice creams in the world” by Conde Nast Traveler and voted “best ice cream” in the Quad City Times Reader’s Choice Awards.