This historic house and plantation first belonged to a prominent planter named Elias Norwood of East Feliciana Parish, north of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It is a wonderful Greek revival and Italianate in style. He never completed the house before he died in a tragic accident while attempting to save a boy whose clothes caught fire. The house he started was passed to Bennett Barton Simmes, a state senator, riverboat captain and founder of the town of Simmesport. Simmes took residence with his family in 1852.
The plantation home was used in the civil war as the headquarters for General Banks' Red River Campaign in April and May of 1864. It is to be noted that Banks' Red River Campaign started and ended at Simmesport, Louisiana.