In May of 2015, We Can Frame That opened a frame shop with a local art gallery, photography studio, and community meeting room. The focus put on Musccatine-oriented art has blossomed into a large and diverse representation of Historic Muscatine!
The historic commercial building housing We Can Frame That has undergone many changes and hosted many businesses since it was built around 1875.
Barney (Bernard) Fuller had started a grocery business around 1860, likely on this site. His son Charles joined him by 1880 in the new building, and eventually the third generation ran Fuller Grocery Store in this building until early 1938.
Modern Electric was one of the tenants starting from the building's initial establishment, from May of 1938 until 1943. Herbert Bendle and Charles McCarty were not only in the electrical contracting business, but also sold home appliances, heating equipment, and air conditioning.
Glass Smart shop, a ladies clothing store was at the address for a short time in 1943.
Then in 1949, Cook's Music Shop opened their doors at the end of the big band era and stayed here until 1972 . In 1962, a glass and stone front was added to the store, as well as extensive remodeling inside, including a "stereo" room. Music lessons were also offered to students at Cook's in several little adjoining rooms in the basement. One music teacher later lamented that it took her two years to recover her hearing after that.
Sometime in 1973, K & D clothiers, a men's clothing store, expanded into the building from next door. Denny Cockshoot ran the business until 2007.
The building struggled to keep a mainstay business in it through the recession but we are happy to have found a great historical home for We Can Frame That.