From this landing you can see a Mississippi River backwater. In summer there are beds of lotus with their yellow flowers popping up from the river. Pelicans, egrets and great blue heron search for snacks in the river bottom. Bald Eagles soar past and waterfowl paddle in the open water.
- Mertes Slough - Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge Winona District
- Lost Mound Unit - Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge - Savanna District
- Brownsville Overlook - Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge
- Verchota Landing and Canoe Trail
- Sturgeon Slough Hiking Trail -Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge
The Verchota Landing is a popular boat ramp for fishing boats, canoes, kayaks and waterfowl hunting watercraft.
Fishing and waterfowl hunting are the most popular activities. If you bring your canoe or kayak you can paddle the Verchota Canoe Trail.
The Verchota Canoe Trail is 11 miles long and is rated a Difficult trail. The length of this trail makes it a more difficult adventure and you will be going against the current in the beginning.
The trail is recommended for experienced paddlers.
The landing is open year-round.
The area is accessible.
Pet Friendly Notes
Pets are welcome on 6' or shorter leashes.