Trinity Episcopal Church

Trinity Episcopal Church is the oldest church building in Natchez, and the oldest existing Episcopal church building in Mississippi. The congregation is the second oldest of the denomination in the state. Founded in 1822, the church was completed soon after, built in the Federal style with a gilded dome. A remodeling of the church gave it its present handsome Greek Revival appearance.

The lot, on which present-day Trinity Church stands, was purchased in April, 1822 for $1,500. Constructions was begun immediately. The architect for the building was John Munce, and the Master Builder was George Williams. The first services in the present building were held in 1823. Services have been held at Trinity Church ever since.

In 1838, the architectural firm of Breedon & Reynolds was engaged to remodel the building. The dome was removed, the roof line reduced, a portico was added to the front, and stucco was applied to the exterior. The seating capacity was enlarged, and an under-croft was made for Sunday School classes. The work was completed at a cost of $19,664.

The brilliantly colored stained glass windows that pierce the walls in the nave of Trinity Church Natchez create a magical ambiance that draws worshippers away from distracting thoughts of daily life into a heavenly light-filled place. They remind all those who enter that they belong not to this world but to God’s kingdom that transcends time and space.

The variety of breath-taking windows that exists today was not part of the church’s original design but evolved between the mid-1800s and the mid-1900s as the older pattern glass was replaced with specially designed memorial windows peopled by saints, created by the finest stained glass artists of the day.  Faithful parishioners commissioned these individual memorials for their parents and other loved ones.  In the years after the Civil War (1861-1865), an explosion of new church building took place in the United States, and the stained glass windows of Trinity Church are products of this golden age of stained glass artistry.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 31.557366 Longitude: -91.403994 Elevation: 222 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Jessica Cauthen

Hours Open to Visitation

Weekly Service Times

Wednesdays:
5:30 p.m. – Holy Eucharist and Healing

Sundays:
8:00 a.m. – Rite I Holy Eucharist
10:30 a.m. – Holy Eucharist (with music)

Open daily to guests.

Connect with us:

Twitter: @trinitynatchez

Facebook: www.facebook.com/trinitynatchez

Leave a Comment

Submit