This historic monument marks the location of the first English-speaking school in Illinois. It was opened in 1783 and taught by Samuel J. Seely. The school was an abandoned squatter's cabin, located on a tract of land known as the James Lemen Grant, later the Varnum Homestead. It is located 1.2 miles east on KK Road coming off of the Kaskaskia Road.
Latitude: 38.266667 Longitude: -90.129444 Elevation: 648 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Seasons Openvisible year round
This monument is visible from the road. No public parking is available at location.
Pet Friendly Notes