The Black Horse Inn, at the Sherrill Mount House, is located in Sherrill, Iowa on the Great River Road and is just a short drive to the river. Sherrill is a small farming community.
Constructed in 1856, The Sherrill Mount House is of local and statewide significance as one of a very small number of pre-Civil War era hotels surviving in the State of Iowa. It is a locally significant example of stone construction of the time and is one of the largest buildings of this material surviving in rural Dubuque County
The Sherrill Mount House was constructed astride the stagecoach route that traveled north along the Mississippi River. The Inn has 3 main stories, attic area and viewing cupola. The building was constructed of native limestone quarried approximately 2 miles away. These blocks were then transported by immigrants using wheelbarrows to the construction site.
It was placed on the Register of National Historic Places in the summer of 2002.