The City of Columbia, IL has renovated historic Shoemaker School into a multi-faceted facility that links Monroe County’s heritage with its vision for the future. Hammond Shoemaker, the first doctor along the Cahokia-Kaskaskia Trace (one of the busiest byways through Monroe County during the earliest days of European settlement and used by Lewis and Clark as they traveled north to Cahokia gathering men and supplies for the Corps of Discovery in 1803) built a one-room building for his children in 1867. It was used as a public school until 1951, then as a private home for almost four decades. In 1994, the structure was moved to its present location in order to avoid demolition due to the widening of Illinois 3. Today, adaptive reuse of the building allows for visitor services, a Shoemaker School Museum recreating the building’s use as a mid-19th century one-room school, and the One Room School Commemorative Plaza before the entrance into the building designating all 60+ one room schools that dotted Monroe County in 1900.
Latitude: 38.434747 Longitude: -90.190198 Elevation: 493 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here