Constructed in 1844, the Seventies Hall was used as a meeting place, a lecture hall for training missionaries, offices, and the town's first library. When the Mormons moved to the West, the books went with them and became part of the first library to be established (in Utah) between Missouri and California.
The building was used for different purposes after the Mormons left, but it was torn down before 1897. This reconstructed building sits on the original foundation. The main floor has been restored to look as it did in the 1840s, and the second floor contains a museum of Nauvoo artifacts.