Saint Augustine Church was established in 1841 in the Treme neighborhood in New Orleans, Louisiana. Bishop Antoine Blanc gave permission to the free people of color to build a church on land donated by the Ursuline Sisters. Saint Augustine Church, located one block from the French Quarter, is multi-cultural and multi-racial. Under the current leadership of Reverend Quentin Moody of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, Saint Augustine Church supports the spiritual needs and cultural growth of the Treme community and the greater New Orleans community.
The church has a strong music ministry with a gospel choir and celebrates Sunday Mass with a brass band several times a year, which are attended by hundreds from around the world. The history of Saint Augustine Church also includes the good works of the Sisters of Mount Carmel and the Sisters of the Holy Family, whose foundress, Henriette Delille is being considered for sainthood in the Catholic Church. Delille was a free woman of color, and if canonized will be the first African American saint. Her funeral was at Saint Augustine Church in 1862.
The Tomb of the Unknown Slave monument, dedicated in 2004, is located at Saint Augustine Church. It consists of grave crosses, chains and shackles in the memory of the nameless, faceless, turfless Africans who met an untimely death. The monument goes further to honor all slaves buried throughout the United States in unknown and unmarked graves.