The Pointe Coupee Parish Museum is located on the banks of False River, a lake that was a bend in the Mississippi cut off naturally in about 1722. The simple wood-frame building may have been built before 1800. Some people say it once served as a jail, but we know for sure it housed families in the 20th century. In 1976, for the country's bicentennial celebration, it was donated to the parish to become a museum of local history. Today museum docents greet visitors seven days a week between 10am - 3pm.
An old sugar kettle sits near the back porch reminding visitors of the building's proximity to sugar cane fields immediately across the street and throughout Pointe Coupee Parish. The rare construction technique of one room of the building is more common in French Canada than in Louisiana: piece sur piece, horizontal planks locked with full dovetail corners.