There are five historic log buildings in the Chippewa National forest open to the public. The oldest is the Cut Foot Sioux Ranger Station, north of Deer River. This small log building was built in 1908 and is the oldest existing Forest Service Ranger Station in the Eastern United States. The historic ranger station was renovated in 1996 and is open to the public during the summer. Stop by the Cut Foot Sioux Visitor Center on Highway 46 for information and directions.
Hours Open9:00-4:00, correlated with hours of Cut Foot Sioux Visitor Center, Summer Only
Time Period RepresentedEarly Forest Service history, 1900's
Seasons OpenMemorial Weekend Through Labor Day (Self-Guided, By Appointment via the Cut Foot Sioux Visitor Center
Visitor FeesNo Fee
Access to the site is by boat, car or hiking from Cut Foot Sioux Visitor Center along the Old Hatchery Road (gravel road). Boat landing area may be mucky and is on a steep slope. Most visitors arrive on foot or drive to the parking area next to the old Ranger Station.
There is a slight footer on the door to enter the Old Ranger Station, but the open layout of the old 1-room cabin is accessible.
Pet Friendly Notes
Pets are welcome on a leash outside the Old Ranger Station.