The finest antebellum structure in Vicksburg, Mississippi and a national historic landmark, the Old Court House Museum was built in 1858. The structure houses thousands of artifacts ranging from pre-Columbian implements to the contents of ladies' wardrobes. It has 15,000 square feet of exhibits on an entire city block. The Old Court House Museum tells the story of Vicksburg, the Mississippi River, its culture and its economy from the 1700s to World War II. There are over 2,000 glass plate negatives on display and a research library is also on site.
Jefferson Davis made his first political speech on the grounds. The site has been visited by President Ulysses S. Grant, President William McKinley, President Theodore Roosevelt, President Dwight D. Eisenhower, Booker T. Washington and others.
Please visit www.oldcourthouse.org for more information.