Hailed as "The Gateway to the Ozarks" upon the bridge's completion in 1928, this structure provided an invaluable and vital link between Missouri and Illinois.
A small restored portal of the old bridge remains with refurbished art deco styling. At the overlook there is a viewing scope that provides a commanding view of the Mississippi River.
There is access to the River Campus Trail which provides a leisurely walkway along these historic grounds bordering the river. Interpretive signage is scattered along the trail. A newer bridge, The Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge, opened in December, 2003 to replace the bridge of 1928.