Located on the grounds of the new State Capitol, the Old Arsenal Powder Magazine was built circa 1838 on what was then a federal military post. It was later occupied by the Louisiana militia shortly before the beginning of the Civil War and then later used by occupying federal troops during the Battle of Baton Rouge in August 1862. Amazingly, some of their graffiti is still preserved on one of the walls of the building.
Later, the structure served the needs of the cadets at the “Ole War Skule,” as Louisiana State University was affectionately known, when it resided downtown. Today, the Old Arsenal Museum contains exhibits about the structure of the historic powder magazine and the history of the State Capitol grounds, perhaps the most historic area in the city.
This is a Department of State Museum and a part of the Heroes and Heritage Trail Passport to Adventure.