Between 1839 and 1846, the Latter-day Saints held many of their meetings outdoors. The Nauvoo Groves commemorate those early meetings, many of which occurred only a short distance from this spot. A walk through the Groves will introduce visitors to journal and newspaper accounts of the many occasions when both LDS Church members and their friends were touched in their hearts by the spoken word. During most of the time when Latter-day Saints were building Nauvoo, the main grove was located immediately west of the temple. For one period during 1844, Joseph Smith and others preached in a grove east of the temple, with a wooden stand set up near the corner of Robinson and Knight streets.
Latitude: 40.548868 Longitude: -91.389016 Elevation: 561 ft
Hours OpenAll Hours
Time Period Represented1840's
Seasons OpenOpen year-round
Pet Friendly Notes
Pets are welcome in the grove, and there is a nice open field that surrounds the area.