The Monument To Women Memorial Garden, completed in 1978 next to the Visitors' Center, comprises 12 different statues that honor the vital role of women in the family and in society. Over the years, the site has become a favorite spot for many visitors.
The gardens include a monument first built in 1933 in honor of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Relief Society was organized in 1842 by women in Nauvoo to assist the poor, provide materials and supplies to men building the Nauvoo Temple, and teach one another about Jesus Christ. It has since grown to become the largest women's organization in the world, with more than one million members. The motto of the Relief Society is "Charity Never Faileth."