Linden possesses one of the richest property and house histories in Natchez.
The property was a Spanish land grant of 150 acres made to Madam Sarah Truly in 1785. Madam Truly sold the property to Alexander Moore, a prominent Natchez merchant and a real estate dealer. Mr. Moore' s son, James, is believed to have built the original house in 1790. It was a small country cottage consisting of 2 rooms with a central hallway downstairs and the same floor plan upstairs.
In 1818 Linden was purchased by Sen. Thomas. Reed, the first elected senator from the new State of Mississippi. Senator Reed added an east wing to the house consisting of four bedrooms. He also added the beautiful frontispiece to Linden's doorway. With its oval and diamond sidelights flanking the door, a beautifully detailed fanlight above it, hand carved wood columns & architrave, this doorway won fame. A copy of this doorway was used in Gone With The Wind. Senator Reed named his property Reedland.
In 1829 the property was sold to Dr. John Ker. Dr. Ker's homeland was Germany and the national tree of Germany is the Linden tree. So Reedland was rechristened "Linden". During Ker's ownership, many changes were made to the house. A formal dining room was added, the front wall was covered with lath and plaster then scored to look like blocks of stone, the simple portico railings were replaced by turned balusters on the second story, the front gallery was extended to 100ft, and the balusters and columns of the portico were repeated across its entire length. A two tiered gallery was added to the back of the house and a gallery along its east wing.
In December of 1849 Mrs. Jane Gustine Conner, a widow with 13 children, purchased Linden from Dr Ker. Mrs. Conner's husband had died earlier that year. She left their Plantation on Second Creek and moved her family to Linden which was much closer to town. She added the west wing which housed her warming kitchens, keeping rooms downstairs and schoolrooms upstairs for her 13 children.
The children of the current owner, Mrs. Jeanette Feltus, make the 6th generation of Conners to reside at Linden. This fact makes Linden rich with rare items, seldom available for public view elsewhere. It is also very interesting to note that the vast majority of the window glass is original from the time period in which it was installed, giving the visitor an opportunity to observe the progression of window glass manufacturing from 1790 through 1849 when the west wing was added.
Linden is a Federal Period house (1790-1820). Most of its furnishings are from that period including furniture such as Hepplewhite and Sheraton. Not only does Linden have Federal furnishings but also Chippendale & early Empire.