The Lewis and Clark State Historic Site, located in Hartford, Illinois, commemorates Camp River Dubois, the camp of the Lewis and Clark Expedition from December 1803 to May 1804. The site is National Trail Site #1 on the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail and is situated on the dry side of the Chain of Rocks Levee, approximately 1/4 mile from the Illinois shore of the Mississippi River.
Main attractions at the site include a 14,000-square-foot interpretive center and an outdoor replica of Camp River Dubois. The interpretive center contains a theater, multiple "hands on" exhibits and displays, and a 55-foot full-scale cutaway keelboat.
The center also features a gift shop called "The Store of Discovery" operated by the Lewis and Clark Society of America, profits from which will be donated to the Lewis and Clark State Historic Site.
The Lewis and Clark State Historic Site was designated as the location for one of the National Signature Events for the commemoration of the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial. This national event occurred on May 14, 2004 and marked the 200th anniversary of the beginning of the journey from Lewis and Clark's winter camp in Illinois.