This house was built in 1877. W.W. Sanborn was the architect and J.C. Clausen was the superintendent of construction. It was originally of red brick with a mansard roof and turreted tower. It was of heavy wood frame construction with exterior walls veneered in brick and a stone foundation and was reconstructed in 1906. The original brick veneer was removed and grey cement brick of the Iowa Granite Brick Company was used to replace it. The roof was reconstructed as a flat roof and the tower removed at that time. It was built by Lafayette Lamb, the second oldest son of the lumber baron, Chancy Lamb who lived on the same street, ultimately next door to the east. The Iowa Granite Brick Company was a business venture of the Lamb family.
The house was originally built in the Second Empire Style and was a local showcase example of that Victorian Style for nearly thirty years. The 1906 changes converted the house to a building that resembled Georgian Revival Style. The house has full-height projecting polygonal bays on the north (front) and east sides with the main entrance to the left of the north bay. The original window openings and main entrance have segmentally-arched tops. A broad veranda is wrapped around the northeast corner, between the north and east projecting bays. On the east side, the veranda is bowed out in a shallow semicircle. The west side of the house features windows at irregular levels and in various sizes. The beltcourse between second and third stories is broken toward the rear of the main block, reflecting the fact that this portion of the house was slightly lower than the front, and had a shallow hip, rather than mansard roof. On this side is a two-story oriel window, added between 1909 amd 1917.
Lafayette Lamb died in 1917. His wife Olivia died in 1924. In 1920 the house was donated to the Clinton YWCA together with funds to remodel the house for the use of the YWCA and funds to begin an endowment. The YWCA did not alter the exterior of the house when I was acquired, but did make changes to parts of the interior. The parlor on the west side, the main hall and entrance area have been left as they were. The old carriage house was converted to a gymnasium and given a shallow hipped roof. By 1925, a series of brick additions toward the rear, on the east and west sides, connected the residence to the gymnasium.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 18, 1979.