Kaskaskia Bell Memorial

The Kaskaskia Bell State Memorial is a brick building that houses a bell cast in 1741 by King Louis XV (1710-1774) of France as a gift to the Catholic Church of the Illinois Country.

Originally located at the Immaculate Conception Parish at Kaskaskia, the bell was rung by villagers to celebrate their July 4, 1778 liberation from the British by American Colonel George Rogers Clark (1752-1818). In later years, it became known as the “Liberty Bell of the West.” The Memorial also contains murals depicting scenes from Kaskaskia history.

An annual Independence Day program celebrates the July 4, 1778 capture of Kaskaskia by Virginia troops commanded by George Rogers Clark during the Revolutionary War.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 37.921594 Longitude: -89.914701 Elevation: 375 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Fort de Chartres State Historic Site

Hours Open

Dawn-dusk every day

Time Period Represented

1741-1803

Seasons Open

Year-round

Visitor Fees

Free

Accessibility Notes

The memorial is accessible to all.

Pet Friendly Notes

Pets on a 10 foot leash and service animals are welcome.

Leave a Comment

Submit