This building, which was formerly Poydras High School, was built in 1924. This is the last in a succession of schools in the parish named for local planter and philanthropist Julien Poydras, whose 1824 will established a fund for public education.
The building, which first served as a high school and later as an elementary, also marks the final resting place of Julien Poydras under a monument on the grounds. In the late 1980s, the building was in extremely bad shape and the city, which saw it as a liability, considered demolishing it. Knowing the historical significance of Julien Poydras and seeing the potential for future use, several Historical Society members fought hard to save the structure.
Finally, in 1992, the Pointe Coupée Historical Society acquired the building and began raising funds to restore it as a community museum and arts center. In 2000, the building was rededicated as the Julien Poydras Museum and Arts Center. The Historical Society currently owns and maintains the building and grounds, renting office space on the upper floors and in the annex building to help cover costs. Since restoration, the Julien Poydras Center has functioned as a museum and cultural center for the community hosting art and history exhibits, music, dance, and theater events, as well as political functions, and even weddings.