Rare antique maps adorn the walls of this unique Natchez, Mississippi bed and breakfast located in the Downtown Historic District. The house is outstanding for its antebellum origins as a private billiard hall built in the style of a Greek temple, as well as for its rare pocket doors with ornamental glass work.
The builder was David Stanton, whose brother built world-famous Stanton Hall. Acquired in 1877 by J.N. Stone, it has remained in the Stone family for over 130 years, now operated as a bed and breakfast by his great-grandson, full of family portraits and antiques. Each fall, the house is open to the public during the Natchez Pilgrimage. Additionally, it has won the Historic Natchez Foundation's 2003 Restoration Award as well as TripAdvisor's Travelers' Choice Awards in 2012 & 2013 for the top 25 bed and breakfast inns in the United States.
Guests are invited to a 'Natchez Soirée Musicale' featuring live piano entertainment with complimentary wine in the music parlor. The music is performed by the owner, Joseph Stone, who holds classical music degrees from the Eastman School of Music and the Manhattan School of Music. The concert centerpiece is the music of Louis Moreau Gottschalk who was born in New Orleans in 1829, thus featuring this regional composer's uniquely American-style music dating from the antebellum period of history for which Natchez is so famous.
The oldest part of this house dates from circa 1850, built as a private billiard hall in the style of a Greek Temple. This was expanded into the present house by the two sons of David Stanton, probably immediately following the Civil War, around 1866. The billiard hall has been restored with an antique billiard table, also available to the guests.
Bed and Breakfast Style
Accommodations include the Master Bedroom featuring a New Orleans rosewood tester bed, two single beds, a 13-foot ceiling and private bath. A Cottage also furnished with antiques is available for more private lodging, with two bedrooms and private bath. All guests are served a full Southern breakfast in The Dining Room on antique Limoges china amidst numerous family portraits and documents of the owner's 19th century ancestors. As mentioned above, all guests are invited to attend a live performance of classical piano music, with wine, featuring composers such as Gottschalk, Schubert, Chopin, Brahms, and Liszt. These composers wrote the music that was played and listened to in the antebellum period.
The Billiard Hall is the oldest part of this Natchez Historic Inn. Built circa 1850 by David Stanton, whose brother Frederic built Stanton Hall, this luxurious stand-alone structure served as the Stanton family's private social gathering place. It stood on the grounds of David Stanton’s home The Elms, also now a Natchez MS bed and breakfast, and was later expanded into a house to accommodate his two sons Samuel and Aaron. Both Stanton homes, The Elms and Stanton Hall, have been famous tour houses for over three quarters of a century.
The billiard room was used as a bedroom for most of the 20th century by the Stone family. After restoration was undertaken from 1999 to 2003 by the present owner, Joseph B. Stone, the room was reinstated as a billiard room to be used as such by guests at this unique Natchez Historic Inn. The Billiard Hall consists of a single room 22 feet long and 18 feet wide, with a ceiling 13 feet high, originally surrounded on all sides by 9-foot-wide colonnaded galleries. With four columns across the front and back, and five columns along the sides, the architecture was in the style of a Greek temple, and was the most luxurious private dependency in Antebellum Natchez. The columns were joined on all sides by a substantial wood balustrade with sawn balusters resembling an hour-glass form. At the front the single entrance is surmounted by an elaborate architrave encasing four sidelights on either side and a double transom above, epitomizing the Natchez Greek Revival style. Each side wall and the rear wall feature two 10-foot-high floor-length windows, with a fireplace on the rear wall centered between these walk-through windows. Heart pine comprises the floor while cypress is the primary wood used in the beams, elaborate trim, shutters and door, with the door retaining the original lockset. Both the interior and exterior walls retain the original plaster on cypress lathing, the exterior walls being scored to resemble quarried stones, a feature found on many early Natchez structures. The original intricately pierced plaster medallion adorning the ceiling is identical to one in the main hall at historic Rosalie, and features a period three-light gasolier mounted with shades etched in a Greek key motif. With the six tall floor-length windows that could be opened onto the surrounding galleries, this spacious edifice provided a bright, airy entertainment space for one of the most prominent social families of Antebellum Natchez Mississippi.
Breakfast Style Served
Range of Rates
$115 - $155
Natchez now has recycling. Central air is provided in both the main house and cottage; the heat is from natural gas. The attic is insulated. Breakfast includes some local products such as Mississippi molasses.
Locally or Family-Owned Business Notes
In 1877, the property was acquired by Joseph Newman Stone and Theodora Britton, great-grandparents of the present owner, Joseph Britton Stone, and has remained in the family ever since. At all times since 1877, at least one of the owners has been surnamed 'Stone'.