The Hyrum Smith Farm is perfect for extended family get-togethers! This historic farm is just one mile from the temple and sleeps up to twenty comfortably. A complete remodel was finished in May 2008 and the home was made ready for families to enjoy beginning June 2008.
The original pioneer brick home is 16 x 24 and is used as a dormitory with four bunk beds. The two story brick addition added in 1850 contains two master bedrooms upstairs with king beds, and two bedrooms downstairs with queen beds, plus a parlor with a queen size sofa sleeper. A later addition to the home has a family room with another sofa sleeper, TV/DVD and full bath and laundry. Another addition to the north side has another bedroom with queen size bed, and a large game room and full bathroom. Remodeling included new paint, carpeting and furnishings throughout this home plus the addition of two more bathrooms for convenience and central heat and air for comfort! All utensils, dishware, linens, and towels are provided. A washer & dryer are also provided for guest use. High speed internet is available as well.
The original 180 acre farm was purchased by Robert & Mercy Fielding Thompson when they came to Nauvoo in 1839. Land records show that Robert (who was Joseph Smith’s secretary) sold the farm to his brother-in-law, Hyrum and his wife Mary Fielding Smith on January 7, 1840. The owners are currently researching the land records for a complete history. This large family home with nearly 4000 square feet has the charm and nostalgia of the past plus the modern amenities to enjoy your stay in Nauvoo, and currently retains 29 acres of the original farm. Enjoy Nauvoo art and a small library of early LDS church history, especially Nauvoo’s.