Just blocks from the river and from downtown, Historic Trinity Lutheran Church (1805 S. 8th at Soulard St. near historic Soulard Market) was founded in 1839 by Saxon immigrants who, arriving in New Orleans, took steamboats to St. Louis and settled in both the City of St. Louis and in small communities of Perry County, MO. They abandoned the oppressive state church in the Old World for the promise of a utopian Lutheran community in the New World. Led by Rev. C.F.W. Walther, those who had stayed in the city founded a day school and several parishes, along with a seminary, a newspaper and in 1847 a church body. Today these continue as Concordia Publishing House, Concordia Seminary, and “The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod,” as does Trinity itself and daughter parishes across the city. Today Historic Trinity is a diverse, caring and welcoming Christian community of over 700 persons, located adjacent to downtown St. Louis and serving the entire metro area.
Latitude: 38.609245 Longitude: -90.202852 Elevation: 466 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here