Completed in 1909, this cathedral-size church is the third building to sit on this elevated track of land in Opelousas, Louisiana. Founded in 1770 by French Capuchin friars, it is the second oldest church parish in the Lafayette Roman Catholic Diocese.
The current edifice is a Gothic form of structure with Romanesque motifs. The stained-glass windows were made in France by German artisans. The building was designed by noted Opelousas architect Tilghman George Chachere, Sr.
The church archives and records, located in the old Marianite Sisters of Holy Cross convent behind the church, are a treasure trove to genealogists and historians alike, as its records date back to the 1770s. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.