One of the highlights of Highland Park is the Dentzel Carousel. Built in 1895 by Gustav Dentzel of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, it was purchased by the City of Meridian from the City of St. Louis, Missouri, as a leftover item from the 1903 Louisiana Purchase Exposition held in St. Louis.
The carousel has been in operation since 1909 and is a National Historic Landmark. It is the world's only two-row stationary Dentzel menagerie. Original oil paintings of museum quality top the crown of the carousel. All of the animals are meticulously hand-carved and have been professionally restored to their original beauty.