Grand Gulf Military Monument Park is a 400+ acre serene setting, Civil War battlefield site, including museum, historic buildings and camping facilities. There are 42 full hookup RV sites with 50/30 amps, water and sewage. There are several lovely tent camping sites, 2 bath houses and laundry facilities available for the campers. Group camping is encouraged and there is a a large covered pavilion for eating and socializing. The campgrounds and park sit just 1/2 mile from the Mississippi River.
Grand Gulf was an active shipping town prior to the Civil War. During the war there were two Confederate forts which saw action on April 29, 1863 in a 5 hour naval battle where Col. Wade lost his head in one of the first shots. Gen. Grant had 7 Union ironclads in the river firing on the two forts.
Much of the Park is shaded with pecan, oak, pine and Bradford pear trees.
Campers enjoy walking to the river for sunset or walking the hilly roads for exercise as well as visiting the museum filled with artifacts from the Civil War and forward. On the grounds are hearses, buggies, a Civil War ambulance, jail from the town of Grand Gulf, firetruck from Port Gibson, whiskey still and submarine. The Catholic church and dog trot house are available for visiting.
South and east of Grand Gulf Park is Port Gibson, the town General U.S. Grant reportedly said was "too beautiful to burn." Several of the historic churches are open daily as well as visitor centers. 10 miles west of Port Gibson is Windsor Ruins, originally a plantation home completed in 1861. Windsor was used as an observation post by the Confederates and as a hospital by Union soldiers after the battle of Port Gibson. Unfortunately it burned on February 17, 1890 after a house guest accidentally dropped a cigarette into construction debris. All was destroyed other than the iron stairs and 23 columns which are now nationally photographed.