The Fairfax House, formerly know as Shady Retreat, was built in 1852 by John Barrett Murphy. He built the house for his daughter Martha who was married to Thomas J. Foster. The house was situated with a view of the Bayou Teche, on the Main St. of Franklin, and in the midst of a working sugar cane plantation.
The house was expanded in the 1920s by W. Prescott Foster. His beloved daughter, Fairfax, was the last family member to live there. The Fairfax House has been fully renovated and is now a bed and breakfast and reception facility owned by Mr. Gary Blum.