The Fabulous Fox Theatre opened on January 31, 1929 as one of the crown jewels in William Fox’s motion picture empire. Billed as “St. Louis’ largest and most magnificent temple of amusement,” the theatre’s historic relevance was recognized when it was accepted into the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. After dazzling and delighting millions of people for nearly 50 years with films, stage shows, concerts, radio shows, special events and world premieres, the theatre closed in 1978. In 1981 the Fox was privately purchased by Fox Associates and an incredible one-year restoration project was launched bringing the Siamese-Byzantine splendor of the Fox back to life. The Fox reopened its doors with the musical “Barnum” on September 7, 1982 to a capacity crowd of 4,500. The meticulous restoration of the Fox was recognized by The National Trust of Historical Preservation with a 1983 National Trust Honor Award. Since 1982, more than 15 million people have passed through the brass doors of the Fox to see Broadway shows, Vegas performers, top pop, rock and comedy concert acts, country superstars, dance, family productions, gospel plays, and classic movies; and to attend tours, seminars, private parties, weddings, graduations and proms. The Fabulous Fox continues to provide St. Louis audiences with the best of everything and something for everyone.