Docville is a 120-acre site along the Mississippi River in St. Bernard Parish owned by the Meraux Charitable Foundation. The Foundation aspires to contribute to the local quality of life by sponsoring cultural, musical and holiday events, a scholarship program and home tours.
The property includes a principal home, a collection of country cottages, a large pecan grove and a few refurbished halls that were once barns. These historically significant structures were originally built between 1891 and 1920.
The property was inherited by Dr. Louis Meraux and Anita Maumus (husband and wife). Her family was from France and settled in St. Bernard Parish in the 1850s. Her father operated one of the successful cattle raising businesses on the land and was president of Crescent City Stockyard Company. Louis Meraux, in addition to being a medical doctor, became the St. Bernard Parish sheriff and tax collector in 1934. Together they acquired many more properties. Docville is a sector carved out of the total land holdings.
Louisiana was home to a successful citrus business and a livestock industry. The Louisiana fur trapping trade was number one in the country and oil and gas exploration was getting its start. Dr. and Mrs. Meraux were involved in all of these land-based ventures. The Meraux's leased the country cottages on the property to Sinclair Oil to house laborers while Louisiana oil production was skyrocketing.
During their lifetime, the couple sponsored philanthropic projects for the improvement of the parish. In appreciation, residents named the town of Meraux in their honor. Today, the Meraux Charitable Foundation operates in this same spirit of generosity.