Constructed in 1787, Destrehan Plantation is the oldest surviving plantation home in the lower Mississippi River Valley. Home to four generations of a single family, Destrehan was operated as a Creole Sugar Plantation until 1910. It was also home to hundreds of enslaved people of African descent. The plantation main house is architecturally significant, reflecting the French Louisiana country style and a Greek Revival update in 1840.
Jean Noel Destrehan was a prominent leader of early Louisiana, who was appointed by President Thomas Jefferson to the first Louisiana Legislative Council to write the laws for the new state. The plantation was the site of the trials for the 1811 Slave revolt which was the largest on American soil. After the Civil War, Destrehan was operated as a Freedman’s Bureau where newly freed slaves came to learn trades and receive medical care. A 90 minute interpretive tour is given by authentically costumed guides and includes a 10 minute video.
Visit the Caire House Museum, The Harvey Legacy Room and see slave cabins, a wash house, kitchen and barns. Also enjoy a period craft demonstration and shop in the Plantation Store for books and gifts