The Collinswood School Museum had its beginning around 1876 when it was constructed specifically as a one room school house. Mr. Collins constructed the school house on his estate, approximately one mile west of Ponchatoula, to assure an education for his son. He then hired and boarded a teacher and offered educational training for other children in the area. The school operated in that fashion until around 1908. Grades one through six were taught in the single room.
In 1975, the Bicentennial Commission chose the Collinswood School Museum as a project, and the city of Ponchatoula purchased the building for that purpose. Land at the present museum site was donated by the Edwards family to the city. The museum opened in 1976, and has operated continuously since then. The museum is governed and operated by volunteers.
Local artifacts such as photos, turn of the century tools, gifts to the city, historical writings, and much more are preserved in this small building.