This two story house was built in 1870 – 1871 with seven rooms on the ground floor and nine above. It had a large wine cellar, two summer kitchens, a stable and coach house. It had a blacksmith shop, smokehouse, duck & chicken houses and pond. It is located on the north side of highway 136 immediately to the west of the junction of that highway and the Mill Creek Parkway.
It is two story frame house with a veneer of locally manufactured red brick with buff-colored brick used for quoins at the corners and for the window arches. A cornice, truncated hip roof, and widow’s walk cap the building. The roof has an overhang that is bracketed with paired, scrolled brackets attached to a wide friezeboard that is further decorated with dentils and a circular cut pattern. The foundation is of cut limestone blocks obtained locally. The front façade has a double wide door to the west, with two tall, narrow segmental arched windows to the east. The front door is round arched, with an arched transom window. The second floor has three segmental arched windows across. Initially it had a three-hole brick privy. The front porch was removed in the 1920’s.
The building is a good example of a fashionable period mansion of Italianate style. Dennis Warren built the house, intended for his favorite nephew, Andrew Warren, Jr., but, instead, the house was sold and first occupied by Dr. Augustus L. Ankeny and his wife Valeria Perrin, a daughter of the first significant settler of what became Clinton, Iowa. In 1905 it was acquired and occupied by Henry and Annie (Lindmeier) Bremer until their divorce in 1934 when she reverted to her maiden name. In 1939 her brother, George Lindmeier acquired the house and occupied it until his death in 1962 until when Pete and Sylvia Lindmeier Cottral acquired it, renovated it and lived there until they sold it prior to their deaths. The Lindmeier family came from Clinton’s sister city, Erfde, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.
Cherry Bank was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 22, 1999.