Central Delta Depot Museum and Visitor’s Center Brinkley was a major railroad center from the 1880s unto the 1960s. The Memphis and Little Rock Railroad (Arkansas’ first rail line) was laid through town in 1871 and in 1883 what became known as the Cotton Belt” rail line (St. Louis Southwestern Railway) arrived. In addition the Batesville and Brinkley Railroad (later known as the White and Black River Valley Railroad) appeared in about 1880, and also the Arkansas Midland/Missouri Pacific Railroad, connecting Brinkley to Helena. In the early days low-lying areas in eastern Arkansas and frequent flooding made movement by land of natural resources, merchandise and travelers a big problem. Steamboats operating on the White and St. Francis Rivers and smaller streams were the only solution, until the Memphis-Little Rock rail line was constructed, allowing rapid movement out of the region for timber by-products and cotton. Today museum visitors get a close-up view of the many Union Pacific freight trains that pass through town. The Central Delta Depot Museum, located in Brinkley’s Union Train Station, constructed in 1912, strives to tell the story of the region’s rail system and the settlement and development of the area through donated and loaned objects and photographs.