Just north of the intersection of Bluff Boulevard and Eighth Avenue South is one of the most delightful neighborhoods in the region. Castle Terrace has fifteen houses, fourteen of which were built between 1927 and 1931 in the Tudor Revival style on about seven acres. The development has the feeling of a faux English village with gently curving streets, spacious lawns and mature trees. All utilities were placed underground, which was unusual for the time. Castle Terrace Inc. was formed in 1926 for the purpose developing the seven acres. H.H. Hobart, E.E. Green, and R.J. Alexander were three of the incorporators. Sale of lots began in November 1926. The purchase agreements included the stipulation that a “dwelling house to cost no less than $6,500” should be constructed on the lot, that it should be “the English type” and “all architectural work furnished by the architects of Castle Terrace Inc.”
716 Terrace is a two-story house constructed in 1927 by Dr. Harry Knaack of a combination of brick and stucco exterior with a steeply pitched roof (both hip and gable).
The house at 706 Terrace was designed by Curtis Co. architect Charles O. Lamond as his own home and built in 1926-1927. It is a variation on the Tudor design with a stone first floor and half-timbered upper level.
719 Terrace was built by John Herrity with part of the house full brick and other portions half-timbered.
715 Terrace was built in 1928-1929. Its original owners were George and Margaret Reynold. It does not have the stucco and half-timbering found elsewhere in the neighborhood, but does have the steeply pitched gable and hip roofs. It has a two story rounded front tower with conical roof creating the appearance of a small castle rather than the cottage image of many of the other houses. Three other houses were built in 1928-1929 on lot 3 along the bluff.
711 Terrace was for Contractor Daniel Haring, 707 Terrace was for his daughter and son-in-law Grace and Robert R. Bell. 705 Terrace was built for his daughter and son-in-law Ida and T.W. Nason. These three houses sre connected by a single curving drive off of Terrace. 711 Terrace is the only house in the district with a totally stone exterior which is a combination of large and small blocks. It has a roof with hip and gable like other houses in the district, but the garage has a flat roof. Doors and windows have stone sills and lintels and windows are casements.
703 Terrace was built for Sern Madson from plans drawn by Curtis Co. architects E.E. Green and R.J. Alexander. The house has a brick first floor and half-timbering above with a combination gable and hip roof. The one and one-half story house with half-timbering at
1332 Caroline was completed in 1927. Ejnar and Haren Heiberg, recent immigrants from Denmark, originally owned the house.
1228 Caroline was completed in 1927-1928 and has a brick and half-timbered exterior with a steeply pitched gable in front. It has a massive chimney in front.
1350 Caroline is considered to be a non-contributing structure. It was built in 1951 and has a stone first floor with clapboard above with a massive stone chimney on the east end and a single story garage to the west.
1355 Caroline is across the street. It was designed by, and built for, Curtis Co. architect E.E. Green. It was completed in 1927-1928 with a combination of brick and stone exterior with stucco on some gable ends. It is considered a good example of Tudor design. It has both a hip and gable roof and a massive front chimney with stone detailing. The original garage has been converted into a den and a new (pre-1940) garage has been added.
The house at 1354 Caroline is a stucco covered house with half-timbering built in 1927. The first resident of the house was Tage R. Miller who was an architect with the Curtis Co., but it is not known if he designed the house. R.J. Alexander, a Curtis Co. architect and one of the incorporators of Castle Terrace, owned 1354 8th Avenue South. It was completed in 1931 and is stucco. It has the same combination of materials (brick, stone, and half-timbering) and roof shapes (hip and gable) common to other houses in the district. It has an arched front entry. The district has harmony of design with the common Tudor Revival style and building materials as well as the landscaping and gently curving streets, which create the feeling of a faux English village. The houses have Curtis Co. woodwork, mantles and staircases. The high level of integrity in the district adds to the special feeling given by the district.
The area now known as Castle Terrace was first associated with members of the Curtis family in 1892 when lots 14 and 15 of Flourney’s Subdivision were purchased by William W. Leslie, George M. Curtis and Charles F. Curtis. In May 1893 the area was platted as “Castle Terrace Addition.” Hallack Seaman acquired the property in 1919, and in 1926 sold it to Castle Terrace Inc. At that time it was re-platted and became “Castle Terrace.” All the incorporators of Castle Terrace Inc. were all employees of the Curtis Company. This group included H.H. Hobart, E.E. Green and R.J. Alexander. Charles O. Lamond and Tage Miller were also Curtis employees. It was E.E. Green who insisted that the utilities be placed underground.
Castle Terrace was certified as a National Register of Historic Places Historic District by the National Park Service on January 7, 1998.