Enjoy The Early River Town Atmosphere Of The 19th Century In Alma, Wisconsin!
In 1982, 346 acres and over 200 buildings were included in the designation of the City of Alma as a National Historic District (#82000631) when it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The district is roughly bounded by railroad tracks, 2nd Street, Swift Street and Cedar Street. Three periods of significance were recognized: 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924
Originally known as Twelve Mile Bluff, Alma was named by riverboat pilots for a prominent rock formation located on the bluff which was visible from the mouth of the Chippewa River, twelve miles to the north. Riverboat pilots used the landmark as a guide for navigating their boats and log rafts on the Mississippi River.
In 1848 Victor Probst and John Waecker arrived in the area to cut firewood as fuel for the steamboats that passed their way. These Swiss immigrants were the first settlers, soon to be followed by German, Norwegian and other nationalities immigrating to the United States. In the mid-1850s the settlement below Twelve Mile Bluff was named Alma after the battle on the Alma river, in Russia, fought on September 20, 1854 between the English & French on one side and the Russians on the other. Alma officially became a village in 1868.
Bluffs above the Mississippi River forced the containment of Alma to two blocks wide and seven miles long. From an Indian trail along the river, the settlers built two streets at the base of the bluffs. They were and still are called Main Street and Second Street. A number of short streets connect them but beware, 12 of these "streets" are stairstep streets and only accessible by foot, a unique feature of the City. Main Street is also Wisconsin State Highway 35, a part of the Great River Road and Wisconsin's only National Scenic Byway.
The first industry in Alma was a brewery. This is understandable since the river froze in the winter and settlers were isolated, and the Swiss were fond of their special beer. There were a number of cigar factories also intended for relaxation during the winter months. The lumber business prospered at the end of the 19th century when saw logs were sorted here, as well, in Beef Slough.
The Mississippi River has served the area in many ways. It was used to move wheat, logs, supplies and the daily mail. The arrival of the railroad in 1885 changed things and later in 1935 the building of U. S. Lock and Dam #4 again changed the character of river shipping.
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN ALMA
Jacob Berni House
Frederick Laue House
Frederick Laue, Jr House
John L Senn House
John Steiner Store
Dr J T Tenny House
Tester & Polin General Merchandise Store
Ulser Walrich House