Gather the gals for a project making retreat. Enjoy our two beautifully renovated homes with views of the Mississippi River, each restored with project making in mind. Don't forget your friend who loves to cook or your sister who doesn't sew but enjoys scrapbooking or knitting. Our accommodations are all about bonding, enjoying one another's company, and savoring the time we spend with each other. Having uninterrupted time to do what we enjoy most is one of the greatest luxuries of all.
Number of Persons Cottage or Cabin Will AccommodateThe Cottage accommodates up to 10 guests. The Steamboat House accommodates up to eight guests.
Warming SourcePropane or Natural Gas Heater
Kitchen Supplies Available (if any)
Which house is best for your relaxing Girls Weekend Getaway?
Both women's retreats are gorgeous, and bringing projects and supplies into either is a breeze as there are no steps to climb. Mississippi River views are breathtaking from either house. Both homes feature central air and wifi access.
If you have anyone in your group with any type of mobility issue, please consider The Cottage. It has a bathroom right off of the Project Room and one of the five bedrooms is up a set of three steps with a bathroom also located on that level.
Below are the details of both of these accomodations:
- Accommodates up to 10 women
- First Level ~ dining Room, project room, kitchen, bathroom with laundry facility and three season porch (lovely view of the river)
- Second Level ~ up three steps ~ bedroom (two twin beds), bathroom
- Third Level ~ up two additional steps. Two bedrooms (each with two twin beds) and large living room with fabulous river views.
- Fourth Level ~ Two bedrooms (each with two twin beds) and bathroom.
The Steamboat House
- Accommodates up to eight women.
- First Level ~ project room, kitchen, bathroom, dining room, living room. Open air porch and screened porch provide river views.
- Second Level ~ Three large bedrooms with river views (two with three twin beds and one with two twin beds), and two bathrooms (one with laundry).
What to Bring
What to bring to your Girls Weekend Getaway?
Kitchen: Bring food and favorite recipes. The kitchen is equipped with tableware, cookware and kitchen linens. You’ll also find a coffeemaker, microwave, hand-mixer, blender, crock-pot & toaster.
Bedrooms & Baths: Bath toiletries and maybe your favorite pillow if you can’t live without it. All bedroom and bathroom linens are furnished.
Project Room: Bring your sewing machine & supplies, scrapbooking supplies, crafting items etc. We provide irons, ironing boards, Ott Lites and cutting matts.
Laptop or Tablets - We provide wifi for your convenience.
Camera - This is a historical and maybe even a hysterical venture worth documenting!
Cell phones - Most people have reception.
Binoculars - to view the eagles nesting across the river.
DVDs - We don’t get TV reception but do have a DVD player.
CDs - Player provided.
Extra projects - You won’t believe how much you get done!
Nightly Rate or Fee (if any)Tiered rate system based on the number of people. Visit www.aplacetosew.com for more information.
Direct Link to Reservation Sitewww.aplacetosew.com
Recycle containers present.
Locally or Family-Owned Business Notes
We purchased The Steamboat House in 1991 and it took us several years to restore it. We finally opened A Place to Sew in 2000. We purchased The Cottage in 2003 and opened it for retreats in 2004. Come check out our progress.
While the houses are not handicap accessible, they are both very easy for people with mobility issues to enjoy.