The A.B. Safford Memorial Library was built in 1884 by Mrs. Anna Safford in memory of her husband, Alfred B. Safford and given to the City of Cairo and its residents. The red-brick, Queen Anne structure was built by Lancaster and Rice Manufacturing Company of St. Louis who actually established a lumber yard in Cairo while building this facility. The two niches flanking the main entrance shelter Clio, the Green Muse of History and Concordia, a Roman Goddess of Peace. The Fighting Boys, an original bronze work of art by Janet Scudder, one of America's foremost sculptors stands at the entranceway to the building. Beautiful stained glass windows adorn each room with a different center in each one. A replica of the City of Cairo steamboat carved by Captain Henry T. Ashton in 1876 is on display as well as a rare 1857 Tiffany grandfather clock. The museum houses museum type collections has many types of displays including many paintings, a circus display, Cybis porcelain, a Lladro collection, a steamboat gambling table and much, more more. The second floor has a 200 seat auditorium with a meeting room and a special collections room preserving the library's valuable collection of historical materials. A visit to this historic Library is well worth your time.