Fort de Chartres State Historic Site

Located four miles west of Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, the site marks the location of the last of four successive French forts named “de Chartres.”

Built in 1753 by the French during their eighteenth-century colonization of the Illinois Country, the massive stone fort was preceded by three wooden forts, with the first fort erected in 1720. Fort de Chartres served as the French seat of government and its chief military installation in Upper Louisiana from 1753 until 1765 when it was occupied by the British.  In 1763 France ceded much of its territory in North America, including what is now Illinois, to Great Britain. British troops occupied the fort from 1765 until 1772, when encroachment by the Mississippi River caused a collapse of the south wall. Subsequently, the remaining walls and buildings fell into ruin.

Today, the site features an imaginative reconstruction of portions of the third Fort de Chartres. The fort gate, built in the 1920s, has been remodeled several times. Portions of the fort’s walls were reconstructed on original foundations in 1989. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Inside the fort are the restored powder magazine, believed to be the oldest building in Illinois, two reconstructed stone buildings, and the exposed foundations of other buildings, two of which have been “ghosted” in wood. The powder magazine is stocked with reproduction barrels and barrel racks. A combination museum and office building, built in 1928 on the foundation of an original fort building, houses exhibits depicting the history of Fort de Chartres and the Illinois Country. The large stone Guard House, reconstructed in 1936, contains a Catholic chapel furnished in the style of the 1750s, along with a priest’s room, a gunner’s room, an officer-of-the-day room, and a guard’s room. Also on the grounds are an operating bake oven, a garden shed built of upright logs in post-on-sill construction, and a kitchen garden with raised beds of produce that would have been grown in eighteenth-century Illinois.

Recreational facilities outside the reproduced fort include a day-use area with a picnic shelter and grills.

For more information and a calendar of upcoming events, please visit us online at www.fortdechartres.us.


Great River Road logo! Official Great River Road Interpretive Center
The Great River Road National Scenic Byway follows the course of the Mississippi River for 3,000 miles from northern Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico. The scenic route passes through 10 states and hundreds of river towns. Learn more >


Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 38.092091 Longitude: -90.166687 Elevation: 384 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Fort de Chartres State Historic Site

Hours Open

Thursday-Sunday 9:00am-5:00pm, grounds open dawn-dusk every day

Time Period Represented

1720-1820

Seasons Open

Year-round

Visitor Fees

Suggested donation of $4 for adults, $2 for children, and $10 for families

Accessibility Notes

Handicapped parking is available, along with a gravel path from the parking lot into and along the inside of the Fort. The Site's museum and restrooms are wheelchair accessible via a ramp in back.

Pet Friendly Notes

Pets on a 10 foot leash and service animals are welcome anywhere on site including the grounds, inside the museum, and in the reconstructed buildings.

Leave a Comment

Submit