Clinton Post Office

The Post Office is a fine example of Federal Building design from the turn of the century featuring influence of both the Neo-classical and Renaissance Revival styles; it is also described as Beaux Arts Classical Style.  The three level limestone building features a symmetrical façade with entry gained through the center of three round arched openings.  The view to the north from the south end of the building work area is spectacular since it is unobstructed due to a glass partition separating the lobby from the work area to the south.  Another notable feature of the building is the clerestory windows above the work area south of the lobby.  The roof offers colorful views of the surrounding buildings in downtown Clinton.  A flight of stone steps leads to this doorway with monumental columns flanking the entrance.  The building rests on a high limestone foundation.  The walls have a horizontal emphasis with raked joints.  Stone keystones are found above all windows, those on the sides feature “jack-arched” tops.  Each window has a stone balustrade which creates a balcony effect, while this balustrade is repeated at the roof line.  The supervising architect was James Knox Taylor, U.S. Treasury Department; Louis Simon, Architect and the Contractor was M. Yeager & Son.  The 1934 addition to the rear by John Redding, Contractor of Whiting, Indiana and with Henry Hines as Construction Engineer, is sympathetic, and the 1966 entrance alterations are not intrusive.  This building retains a high degree of integrity on both the interior and exterior.

The construction of this massive limestone Federal Building in Clinton demonstrated the growth and prosperity of Clinton.  It was shortly before the turn of the century that the federal government began the construction of buildings to specifically house Federal activities such as post offices and courts buildings.  This building is impressive in both material and design, indicating the importance of the community where it was built.  George M. Curtis was a member of the U.S. Congress at the time and was instrumental in the construction of this building a block east of his house.  The building cost so much that subsequently standards were established to limit how much could be spent on such facilities in a community the size of Clinton.  This building, which is now vacant, is an irreplaceable treasure for the City of Clinton, but has been listed as one of Iowa’s most endangered buildings.

Read more

Location

Collapse
Nearby
Latitude: 41.841042 Longitude: -90.19099 Elevation: 591 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
Mike Kearney

Time Period Represented

1902

Visitor Fees (if any)

Only the exterior is able to be seen

Leave a Comment

Submit