This distinctive Greek Revival home was built in 1839 in Arabi, then within the New Orleans city limits. Charles Cavaroc, the property owner, was president of the nearby Crescent City Stock Yards and Slaughter House Company. The cattle business in Louisiana operated as part of a thriving national livestock transport and meat-packing industry.
When a law prohibiting slaughter houses in New Orleans was passed, the powers that be simply relocated across the city boundary line. Then, Cavaroc's operation continued without missing a step -- now in St. Bernard Parish. Cavaroc House is the sole remaining structure from the historic cattle operation in Louisiana.
Ownership of the house and grounds passed on to the Biemiss family and they operated a dairy farm.
In 1905, a sugar refining company purchased Cavaroc House. To this day, the beautiful home is utilized by Domino Sugar Refinery for executive offices and is listed on the National Historic Register. Domino is the most productive sugar refining company in the country.
Group tours are available by appointment.